Monday, June 20, 2011

Whispers of His Wisdom

WHISPERS OF HIS WISDOM~~~June, 2011

“Slow Down, Mom!”

            I have developed a reputation among my offspring for speeding on my lawn mower.  I love mowing the lawn and must confess I move along at a nice pace while maneuvering around curves, enjoying the wind frolicking in my hair.

            A few years ago, I jumped on my old Wheel Horse and began mowing our front yard with my usual passion.  Suddenly, remembering that our adult sons were busy working on a project at our shop, and, although they didn’t seem to be aware of my presence, I quickly pushed in the throttle for "their benefit."

            After mowing beside the split-rail fence separating us, I turned left, heading under the limbs of an old, spreading oak tree directly in front of me.  Hanging from one of the limbs was a yellow, moulded-plastic, toddler’s swing which we installed for our grandchildren.  Over the years, I had developed what I thought was a clever yet efficient move at this point of my routine.  Keeping my forward speed up as usual, I bumped the back of the swing with the front of my Wheel Horse.  While the swing flew forward and upward, I slipped under the swing, continuing on my merry-mowing, prideful way.

           However, on this particular day, because I had altered my normal speed, the physics of my routine did not work out as usual.  It didn’t take me long to realize I was in BIG trouble!  The yellow toddler swing, returning too quickly, picked up the front end of my tractor, bring me to an abrupt halt.  I was left awkwardly hanging three feet in mid air with the mower’s rear wheels still on the ground, I slowly turned around in my seat to see if anyone witnessed my shameful dilemma!

            The snapshot of heads shaking from side to side and the unbelief smeared over the astonished faces of my sons is forever engraved upon this Mom’s mind!  My self-induced humiliation mingled freely with hilarity as my husband and sons lifted me and my Wheel Horse down from the toddler’s swing.  What a spectacle I had made of myself while failing to make a positive impression upon the men of my family! Something every mother wants to do.

            All humor aside, is it ever safe to be less than authentic?  The answer must be, “Never, even in the smallest sense!”  God clearly tells us in Exodus 20:16.  “Thou shall not bear false witness.”  My paraphrase of His council might read,  “Don’t push in the throttle even slightly to mislead or alter one’s impression of reality.”  We must not only speak truth but live without pretense.  Doing or saying anything to change another’s perspective of truth is simply deceit. 

            I am afraid I was anything but transparent that day until I was hanging by an oak branch!  However, Our Lord is faithful and forgiving.  Be aware, He uses every opportunity to point out our pretense bringing us back into harmony with His character. 
Dottie Barnett
    

No comments:

Post a Comment