Thursday, February 24, 2011

February Whispers of Wisdom ~ By Dottie Barnett

By my dear friend Dottie.
WHISPERS OF HIS WISDOM~~~ February, 2011
“Pencil-box Betrayal”
As long as I can remember, I have been deeply in love with fall. When I experience
the first chill of autumn, the excitement and anticipation of change surges through my
veins, bringing a glow to my cheeks and a quickening of my steps. Longing to feast
my eyes upon that expanded palette of color which always surrounds the Great Smokey
Mountains in the fall, Harold and I often head out for Cades Cove and Elk Monte in
October. There, surrounded by the light of campfire, I reflect upon the past.
Having always been one for organization, I was thrilled one day as a child when my
parents purchased for me a new pencil-box of my choice. I was enchanted by the tiny
drawers and compartments. The morning of my first day of school, I quickly slipped
on my favorite dress with matching socks, brushed my flaxen hair and slipped my new
pencil-box under my arm. I walked timidly into a small, one-room school located in a
farming community in Lancaster County, Pa. to begin my education. It didn’t take me
long to learn a very important lesson which remains vivid in my memory even today.
Placing my pencil-box upon my desk for all to admire, I searched for a friendly face.
Little time passed before a handsome young man of no more than seven years approached
my desk. With a smirk on his face, he announced that he liked my pencil box. Not
having yet learned to set boundaries very well, I was unprepared for what happened next!
My new “friend” boldly asked me if he could have my new pencil-box! A shy child and
wanting to be accepted, I swallowed the lump in my throat, nodded my head as I slid my
precious treasure across the desk to him. My little heart was broken. Somehow, I knew
he didn’t really want to be my friend. Within a day or so, another little girl became the
proud owner of my pencil-box. She seemed very pleased with her good fortune! Sad but
wiser, I returned home that evening knowing true friendship can never be bought for any
price.
Human friendship and love is often self-centered and very immature at best. So often
we give to get! Contrary to the norm, I have two friends who will never betray me.
Their devotion is absolute. If their love were based upon my goodness, performance or
my new pencil-box, I would be very insecure in my relationship, afraid their love would
be withdrawn at any time. However, I am free to please them out of a sense of love and
appreciation rather than a desire to earn their favor. One of those friends is Harold, my
husband of 52 years. My other friend is Jesus Christ. Have you met Him? He is always
ready to make new friends!
“Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends.” John
15:13

No comments:

Post a Comment